Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Perfect Team?

If there is one thing I like to do when I talk about sports its to challenge everyones thinking. Make them really look at something instead of taking something at face value. Today's target, the Green Bay Packers. Personally I think they are overrated. Now before you grab the torches and tie me to a stake, hear me out.

The Packers are 10-0 right now, you cannot argue their record. But are they the best team in the league? I'm not completely convinced yet. If they beat Detroit by a sound margin tomorrow then I will eat my words, but I really think the Lions are going to give them all they can handle.

I have several reasons behind this theory that probably appalls a lot of people.

Reason #1: Strength of schedule. The Packers are 10 - 0 due in large part to an easy schedule. The combined record of the teams they have faced so far is 39 - 51. Less than stellar, out of those teams they have played 4 teams with a current record of 2 - 8. The Rams, Panthers and the Vikings twice. They played a pre-Tebow Broncos team, (and I am not saying that Tebow would have won that game, I am just stating the fact that the Broncos they played were a much different team with the 5 - 5 record now.) They barely beat a Chargers team that is currently treading water and had to fight at the end against a less than stellar Buccaneers team. When the Patriots ran the table in 07, They had a couple of scares. But against the good teams, not against the sub-.500 teams.

Reason #2: Their defense is not a Championship defense. They have given up 20+ points in 6 of 10 games, To put that in perspective, the Dolphins have also given up 20+ in 6 of 10.
The pass defense is among the worst in the league, their run defense middle of the pack. Their Defense isn't winning them any ballgames, the fate of the team sits squarely on the shoulders of Aaron Rodgers and his passing attack which brings me to my next reason.

Reason #3: Their offense is too one dimensional. Don't get me wrong, as of right now Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL. He is lighting it up, and his core of receivers is arguably the best in the league. But the buck stops there. With the recent injury to Starks the Packers already pass heavy offense just got THAT much more one dimensional. The NFL teams are going to eventually figure the passing attack out, they always do. With a lower rung rushing attack that just got hit with an injury that means the defenses can concentrate even more on the pass. With no pass defense, and a one dimensional offense I think its only a matter of time before they incur a loss.

I am not saying they will not win the Super Bowl, but even at 10-0 they really have to fix some things to achieve that goal.

1 comment:

  1. Saints fan here, and I am hardly impressed by the Opening Night win over New Orleans. So I feel very confident if or when the two teams meet again in the playoffs. I hope Green Bay never loses...so #WhoDat catches 'em with their mouths open.

    ReplyDelete